Fresh fruit and a hankering for a sweet baked sensation and you have my Melt-in-Your-Mouth Gluten Free Blueberry Orange Cake. I had a little incentive as I am participating in The Great Wayfair Cake Off. The baker with the highest engagement numbers from their post will win a Wayfair gift card! I usually don’t like competitions that involve social voting (I lose) but I took the opportunity to make my first gluten free cake, so here goes.
Gluten Free Blueberry Orange Cake by the Lake
We had a little midday tea and cake break out by the lake. HIMself ate three pieces, soooooo that tells me that the gluten free aspect of the cake did not affect the taste. I had a small piece initially just to see how sweet it was. The Gluten Free Blueberry Orange Cake is surprisingly moist with a dense texture and a good hint of orange flavor. It does melt in your mouth. I imagine you could use other berries or fruit. Just be careful of the water content and make adjustments as necessary.
This is a recipe adapted from two recipes developed by my friend Alea Milham on her Premeditated Leftovers website. She has tons of flavor-full gluten free recipes…the accent is on FLAVOR! Since this is my first attempt at gluten free baking (without a prepared mix) I thought I should stick with a proven recipe that I know work well. It turned out soooooo delicious that I plan to do more baking experimentation. I really miss cookies!!! She recommended I begin with her Gluten-Free Vanilla Bundt Cake. While browsing I found her Gluten- Free Hummingbird Bundt Cake and decided to make a slight variation of the two because I wanted to incorporate some beautiful fresh blueberries I found at the farmer’s market last weekend. So here goes…
- 1-½ Cup white rice flour
- 1 Cup tapioca flour
- ½ Cup potato starch
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1¼ Teaspoon guar gum
- 1-3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup oil (or melted butter)
- 1 Cup milk (or dairy-free milk)
- 4 eggs
- 1 Teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
- 5 Teaspoons of Orange flavored liqueur (I used Cointreau)
- 4 Tablespoons of grated orange peel
- 2 Cups fresh blueberries tossed in tapioca flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour the cake pan. I used an angel food cake pan with removable bottom. It has an insert to make a rounded top. I lined the bottom with greased and floured parchment paper also.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add oil, milk, eggs, vanilla and liqueur. Stir to combine with flour mixture.
- Beat the cake mix on medium high for 1 -2 minutes.
- Mix in orange peel by stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Pour 1/2 cake batter into pan. Top with 1 cup of the berries. Add the rest of the batter and berries.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes. When an toothpick comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven.
- Allow it to cool in the pan. Once cool, invert and place on cake plate.
- Presentation: Scoop ice cream into the center hole of the cake. HIMself bought blueberry ice cream! Sprinkle on blueberries and serve.
Check out these great cake pans and serving dishes at Wayfair: