A handmade Christmas is such a blessing for me. Creating something from nothing makes my heart sing. I created some Felted Christmas Trees from Recycled Wool Sweaters a few years ago. I updated some of the photos!
I often search through thrift stores for items to repurpose. This year I have scored some great finds for holiday crafting projects. I often find good wool sweaters that I can felt for creative projects. I most often create purses with them. This particular sweater, from The Gap, kept calling to me to create a cone-shaped tree from it. So I listened.
One winter’s night, I began to cut and this is what happened…
Felt Christmas Trees from Recycled Wool Sweaters
Here is the tree from the sweater above.
Download the pattern by clicking the image.
They are so cute, I thought I would create a pattern for you and a tutorial. Click on the pattern above to open the image. Then right click or copy it to your computer. It is my gift to you, dear readers. I have other Printables for you. Just click the Fun FREEBIES . And check back often for more Printables from Designer pARTy Pritables...we put the ART in pARTy!!!
Quick & Easy Felted Christmas Trees
from Recycled Wool Sweaters
This is a super easy sewing project. Just print the pattern, pin to your felt and sew a straight line. No hems or messy fiddly bits…you could probably hot glue it if you really hate sewing, but it could easily be sewn by had if you don’t have a machine.
You create a cone-shaped tree standing about 6 inches tall. Get creative and have fun playing with the pattern dimensions to sew slimmer or plumper versions of the tree. Decorate it with wild abandon. Then display it proudly!!! If you make one, come back and let me know please. I love to see pictures and I will feature them here too.
Felted Christmas Trees from Recycled Wool Sweaters Materials List
• Cone Pattern (provided above)
• Previously felted wool sweater (Tutorial to felt sweater here @ Aunt Peaches)
• Sewing Machine
• Beads, Buttons, Ribbon, or other Tree Decorations (optional)
5 Easy Steps to Sewing
- Use pattern to cut felt shapes. You can adjust pattern proportionally if you like. I made some taller and skinnier.
- Add tree decorations like beads, buttons and ribbon before sewing tree (optional).
- On wrong side of fabric, match straight sides and pin.
- Use machine to sew straight sides together with about ¼ inch seam. You can sew by hand also. I told you this was easy.
- I steamed the seam open with my iron. The turned the tree right side out.
- Voila…enjoy your Felted Christmas Trees from Recycled Wool Sweaters!!!